Star fruit, Kamrakh, Karmal, Karambal, Kordoi, Kamranga or Carambola are fruits that have a tart and sour taste and are used for culinary purpose & also for medicinal uses. It resembles a star and hence the name. In India, its can be cultivated throughout the country.
FarmToCuisine presents a simple curry made out of star fruit and fish head. This is a popular dish from Assam, though it will tickle taste buds of every foodie.
- 1 medium or large size Fish head (Rohu or Katla fish)
- 2 Star Fruit (Kordoi)
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/2 tbsp Black Cumin Seeds (Kala Jeera)
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Salt To taste
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil Prefarably mustard oil
- 2 cups Water
- Keep the ingredients ready
- Marinate fish head with turmeric powder and salt.
- Chop star fruit into large pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry fish head until lightly browned.Remove fish head from pan and keep aside.
- When the fish head cools, mash it into pieces
- In same oil (reduce oil if quantity is more), splutter black cumin seeds and red chilies.
- Add pieces of star fruit followed by green chilies, turmeric powder and salt
- Stir the ingredients a bit and then cover the pan.
- When the star fruits become tender and the contents become dry, then add 2 cups of water.
- Once gravy starts to boil, add mashed fish head. Cover the pan and cook.
- When the gravy thickens to desired consistency, remove from heat.