In the scorching heat of summer, tangy fish curry is an ideal recipe for lunch. Like most Assamese dishes, this recipe is simple to prepare, tasty and healthy.
Sour Fish Curry
- 500 gm Rohu (Rui) or Bahu (Katla) Fish
- 1 Medium Size Kaji Nemu (Assam Lemon) or 2 common round lemons
- 1 Big Size Potato
- 1/2 tbsp Black Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
- 50 gm Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric and salt. Keep for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fish pieces. Ensure the fish pieces are lightly fried on both sides
- Now, extract lemon juice in a bowl.
- In the meanwhile, boil the potato till it becomes tender and soft. Chop the boiled potato into medium size cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan (you can use the same leftover oil used to fry fish). Temper with black cumin seeds.
- Add the potato cubes and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add turmeric and salt, and keep on frying for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add lemon juice along with a cup of water.
- Cover the pan with lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the fish pieces.
- Cook till gravy thickens. Add the slit green chillies. Remove from fire.
Read article on Kaji Nemu – Assam Lemon: