Any South Indian dish in incomplete without Sambar. We can make sambar in different types which is unique to different communities and states in South India. Today we present Sorakkai Sambar (Bottle Gourd Sambar) in Tamil Style. This recipe is contributed by our guest author, Deepa Adaikkalavan.
Sorakkai Sambar - Bottle Gourd Sambar in Tamil Style
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 10 Shallots (Small Onions)
- 1 Big Size Tomato
- 1/2 Medium Size Bottle Gourd Cut into big chunks. You can use any other vegetable of your choice.
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 1/4 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Red Dry Chilli
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/4 tbsp Hing
- 1 Ball Tamarind Size of medium size amla
- 1 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Curry Leaves (Few Leaves)
- Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt To Taste
- Keep the ingredients ready.
- In a kadai, pour oil and heat it. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, urad dal and dry chilli. Allow to pop up.
- Then add onions, green chilli, curry leaves and hing. Fry for 2 mins.
- Add bottle gourd, let it get dried as it produces water. Add tomatoes, let it get cooked.
- Once tomato is cooked, add salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder. Mix well for ½ minute. Add cooked toor dal and tamarind water. Add 1 cup water.
- Cook the mixture for 10 mins. When oil will leave on the sides, sambar is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and ghee.