Snakehead Murrel or Xol Mas (in Assamese lingo) is a common freshwater fish.
Today, Farmtorasoi presents a traditional recipe from the kitchen of Kabita.
Snakehead Murrel Fish Curry
- 1 kg Xol Mas (Snakehead Murrel Fish)
- 1 Medium Size Onion Chop finely.
- 2-3 Green Chillies Slit in the middle
- 10 Small Cloves Garlic Make a paste
- 1 inch Ginger Make a paste
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 50 gm Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 1 Bunch Coriander (Dhania) Leaves Chopped for garnishing
- Salt To Taste
- Clean the fish well. Cut into medium size pieces.
- Marinate with turmeric and salt.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Fry the fish pieces lightly. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat some more oil.
- Add chopped onion and sliced green chillies. Fry till onion turn golden brown.
- Now, add ginger garlic paste. Mix well.
- Fry till oil oozes out. Add cumin powder and kashmiri lal mirch powder. Mix well.
- Stir for a minute.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Pour a cup (or as per desired thickness) of hot water.
- When gravy boils, add the fish pieces.
- Cook till gravy thickness. Sprinkle chopped dhania leaves.
- Remove from fire.
Serve hot along with steamed rice. Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!