Indian bean (Lablab purpureus) is used in the preparation of many Indian dishes. It is known by various names in India. In West Bengal, it is known as Sheem. In Kerala, it is known as Amarakka, Avara or Amara Payar. In Assam, it is called Urohi. In Hindi, it is known as Sem.
Today we will try our hands in preparing sem cooked with mustard seed paste (Sheem Sorsori)
Sem cooked with mustard seed paste - Sheem Sorsori
- 200 gm Indian Beans (Sem or Urohi)
- 1 medium size Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Seed Paste
- Salt To taste
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1/2 bunch Coriander Leaves Choped for garnish
- Keep all the ingredients ready
- Soak mustard seeds in water for 1 hour
- Add green chilies to the mustard seeds and grind it to a paste.
- Cut the Indian beans into 2-3 pieces.
- Finely chop onions
- Grind the garlic cloves to paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and garlic paste and fry till brown.
- Now add Indian beans (Sem) and stir for sometime.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix 1 cup warm water to the mustard paste. Add it to the curry .
- When the gravy starts to boil, lower the flame and cover the pan and allow to simmer.
- Once the gravy thickens, add coriander leaver for garnishing and remove the pan from fire.