Potol or Parwal is a seasonal vegetable available during summer. The recipe we are going to present today is a signature dish of the Bengalis. The dish goes well with your lunch and dinner menu.
This easy to prepare recipe is shared by Kabita, our guest author.
- 1/2 kg Potol/Parwal
- 4 tbsp Posto/Khus Khus/Poppy Seeds
- 1 Medium Size Cup Curd
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Soak the poppy seeds/posto in water for 30 minutes. Drain and grind the seeds in pestle and mortar, or grinder. Set it aside.
- Now, wash the potols. Make cut marks lengthwise across each potol so that oil and masala can drip inside.
- Marinate the potols with turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the potols till golden brown. Use medium to low flame. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, add cumin seeds and green chillies (slit lengthwise). Saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Add posto paste. Fry for sometime.
- Now, add salt, turmeric powder and Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add curd. Stir again for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup hot water.
- When water boils, add the fried potols.
- When gravy thicken, remove from fire.