Banana Flower is known as Mocha in Bengali and Koldil in Assamese. It is known to have lot of health benefits, primarily provide good amount of iron and help overcome anemia. Let’s try a bengali recipe prepared from mocha, shared by our guest author Kabita. The dish is a pure vegetarian recipe without use of even onion and garlic.
Mochar Rosa - Banana Flower Recipe
- 1 Medium Size Mocha (koldil or Banana Flower)
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal
- 1 Large Size Potato
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dry Red Chilly
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander (Dhania) Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder
- 2-3 Green Chillies Make a Paste
- 1/2 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 1-2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Oil for frying.
- Salt to Taste
- Clean the mocha/koldil and chop into small pieces. Heat mocha pieces in hot water (Do not boil or cook).Similarly, heat chana dal in hot water (do not boil)
- Now, in a mixer, add mocha pieces and chana dal, and prepare a thick paste (do not make too smooth)
- In a non-sticky pan, heat oil. Add the paste with salt and turmeric, and fry for sometime.When the mixture becomes soft and easily comes out from the pan, remove from flame.Remove the mixture to a plate and let it cool.
- Now, cut the mixture into desired shape as shown in the picture.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes. Peel off its skin and cut into medium size cubes.
- Add fresh oil in a pan. Fry the potatoes and keep them aside.In the same oil, fry the mocha pieces and keep aside.
- In a bowl, make a thick paste of cumin powder, coriander powder and green chilly by mixing with little water.
- Now, take another pan and heat some oil.Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and red chilly. Saute for 30 secs.Add the masala paste. Fry till oil secretes from the masala.Add salt, haldhi and kashmiri red chilly powder. Also, add 1 cup of hot water.
- When the mixture boils, add fried mocha and potato pieces.After a while, add the garam masala powder.Cook till gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Before removing from fire, add 1/2 tbsp Ghee.
- Mochar rosa is ready!!