Bottle Gourd or Lauki or Doodhi or Kaddu is one of the healthiest vegetable around. In Ayurveda, it is believed to be beneficial in curing diseases like diabetes, high cholesterol, urinary infections and even heart ailments.
Naturally, lauki finds place in many dishes in India. Dishes like Lauki Channa, Lauki Kheer and Lau Chingri are popular across length and breadth of the country. The good thing is that lauki is found in all the places in India.
Today we are proud to present a popular recipe ‘Lauki Kofta Curry’ from North India contributed by Aditi Sarmandal who resides in Bangalore, but has been a continuous patron of Farmtorasoi. Before this, I did not know that bottle gourd can be used to prepare tasty kofta curry. Let’s check this delicious item from Aditi’s kitchen.
Lauki Kofta Curry
- 1 Medium Size Bottle Gourd (Lauki)
- 2 Medium Size Tomato
- 2 Medium Size Onion
- 5 Large Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander (Dhania) Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tbsp Amchur Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Bunch Coriander (Dhania) Leaves Finely Chopped
- 1 Small Bowl Besan Enough to make dough with grated bottle gourd
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Cooking Oil for frying Kofta
- Salt To Taste
Preparation of Lauki Kofta
- Wash and peel the bottle gourd. Grate it into medium fine pieces using a grater.
- Mix besan, red chili, turmeric, salt and 1 tbsp oil and make dough
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Take small portions of lauki mixture and make round balls like kofta.
- Drop the koftas into hot oil and fry till they are golden brown from all the sides.
- Keep the koftas aside in a hot case.
Preparation of Lauki Kofta Curry
- Grind onion, tomatoes, ginger-garlic and green chillies separately.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and saute.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till it becomes brown.
- Now, add paste of onion and sauté for 2 min.
- Then add tomato paste , green chillies paste, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tbsp red chili powder, 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp dhania powder, 1/2 tbsp amchur, 1/2 tbsp Jeera Powder, and 1 tbsp garam masala. Mix well.
- Cook till oil becomes separate from gravy.
- Now add 2 cup of water, add salt as per taste and little sugar. Boil for 5 min.
- Your gravy is ready.
- Add koftas and stir gently.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Remove from fire.