Kuli Paniyaram are ball shaped dumplings made with fermented urad dal and rice batter. These are best served with kara chutney in breakfast or evening snacks. Today we present this tasty South Indian Cuisine from Deepa’s kitchen.
Kuli Paniyaram And Kara Chutney
- Paniyaram Pan
- 2 Cups Raw Rice Soak in water for 5 hours
- 2 Cups Boiled Idly Rice Soak in water for 5 hours
- 1/2 Cup Urad Dal Should be soaked along with both the rice
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds Should be soaked along with both the rice
- Salt To Taste
- 3 Big Size Tomatoes
- 1 Big Size Onion
- 4 Red Dry Chillies
- 4 Strands Garlic
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tbsp Hing
- 1 String Curry Leaves Chopped
- Salt To Taste
For Kuli Paniyaram
- Grind soaked raw rice, idly rice, urad dal and fenugreek in a nice batter (like dosa batter). Add salt and set it aside for fermentation overnight.
- Next day, take the batter and ensure that it is semi-thick in consistency. It it is very thick then add water to it. Consistency of batter should be in between idly batter and dosa batter.
- In a Paniyaram Pan, put little oil on all the holes and pour the batter so that 3/4th of the hole is filled. Cover it and cook for 1 minute. Flip it and cook for few seconds only.
- It should be roasted on one side and other side should be soft. Softer side should have small holes in it. If you find holes then your Kuli Paniyaram consistency is correct.
- Tasty Kuli Paniyaram is ready to be served.
For Kara Chutney
- Cut tomatoes and onions into cubes. Then in a mixer-grinder, add tomatoes, onions, garlic and dry chillies, and grind into very nice paste.
- In a pan, add oil and put mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and hing. Let it get roasted. Then add the paste to it.
- Add 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Cover the chutney and cook in low flame for 10 minutes.
- When oil starts splitting from it, switch off and serve.
Serve Kuli Paniyaram hot with kara chutney. Kara Chutney can also be used as condiment with idli, dosa, Pongal or any tiffin. Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!