The Koroti fish is a highly compressed and elongated river water fish. It is found in the main rivers and ponds of Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, and Assam.
Various nomenclatures of Koroti Fish:
Scientific Name: Gonialosa manmina
English: Ganges river gizzard shad
Khoira Macher Jhal - Koroti Fish Recipe
- 250 gms Koroti Fish
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 10-15 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Medium Size Onion
- 1 tsp Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dhania Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kalonji
- 5 Green Chillies
- 50 gms Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Clean the fish by removing fins and intestines. Wash them properly. Set aside.
- Now make a paste of ginger, garlic, onion, and green chilies.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add kaloni and sauté for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the masala paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.Add turmeric powder, salt, jeera powder, and dhania powder.
- Stir well. Cook until oil comes out.
- Now, add 1 glass of hot water or according to the desired amount of sauce.
- When water boils, add the fish.
- Now, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the amount of water is reduced and the sauce thickens, you can remove the pan from the heat.