Climbing Perch Fish or Koi Mach prepared with mustard seed paste (Sorshe Bata) is a popular Bengali dish. No onion, garlic, or ginger are used in this recipe. This is to ensure that the natural flavor of the koi mach remains intact. This simple dish is a contribution from our guest author, Kabita.
Try our other two koi mach recipe:
Climbing Perch Fish with Mustard - Koi Sorshe Recipe
- 4-5 Medium Size Koi fish
- 1 Big Size Potato
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tbsp Kalonji
- 50 gm Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Marinate the koi fishes with turmeric powder and salt.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small size cubes.
- Make a thick paste of mustard seeds and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan. Half Fry the fish and set aside in a dish. Do not allow to cook completely.
- In the same oil, fry the potato cubes till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Now, using the same oil, add kalonji. Saute for a while.
- Add the fried potatoes, 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder and salt.
- Fry till oil secretes from the ingredients.
- Now, add mustard seeds and green chillies paste.
- Mix well.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a cup of hot water. Allow to boil.
- Now, add the koi fishes. Cook till gravy thicken.
- Remove from fire.