Koi Mas or Cat Fish is one of the popular fishes in Assam. It is believed that koi mas has health benefits and lowers risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Today let is learn a simple recipe of koi mas prepared with lettuce, shared by Rashna.
Koi Mas Lai Xaak Recipe - Cat Fish Lettuce Gravy
- 3 Medium Size Koi Mas or Cat Fish
- 2 Bunch Lettuce (Lai Xaak)
- 1 Medium Size Onion Chopped
- 1 tsp Kalonji (Kala Jeera)
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chillies Sliced in Middle
- 1 Dry Red Chilly
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 6 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Salt To Taste
- Clean the fishes nicely. Marinate fishes with turmeric and salt. Heat oil in pan and fry the fishes till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Clean the lettuce and chop the leaves.
- Now, heat oil in the pan. Add kalonji and dry red chilly. Saute for a while.
- Add chopped onions and garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped lettuce.
- Add turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Let the lettuce cook in its own gravy. Use medium to low flame.
- Remove the cover. Cook till water evaporates.
- Add 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- When water boils, add the fried fishes and green chillies.
- Stir occasionally.
- When gravy thicken, remove from fire.