Keteli pitha are rice cakes made by steaming them in a kettle. It is a signature dish from Assam savored in breakfast and evening snack with black tea.
It is to be noted that you have to use traditional aluminium kettle to prepare this dish. Kettle is available online.
- Aluminium Kettle
- Coconut Grater
- 500 gm Rice (Any local variety like Joha, Aijong etc)
- 1 Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Crack open the coconut into two pieces.
- Using a coconut grater, grate the coconut and collect in a plate. Keep aside.
- Soak rice for 2-3 hours. Drain water and allow rice to dry.Now, in a grinder or ural (mortar), grind rice to fine powder.
- Put a deep pan or kerahi on flame. Once it is hot, reduce the flame. Add the rice powder and dry fry for sometime.Keep aside
- Now that all the ingredients are ready, lets start.
- Take the rice powder in a bowl. Add salt, grated coconut and sugar. Splash little water just to make the mixture damp (do not make wet batter). Mix well with your hands.
- Now, half-fill kettle with water and let it boil.
- Fill the kettle lid with the rice and coconut mixture.
- Wrap the lid with markin or muslin cloth.
- Place the lid over the kettle of boiling water. Also, block the mouth of the kettle with markin or muslin cloth so that steam cannot escape. The pitha will get cooked in steam.
- After 10-12 minutes, take off the lid and carefully unwrap the cloth. gently remove the pitha and keep in a hot case.
- Repeat the process for remaining mixture.