Hog Plum, known as Omora in Assamese, Amra in Bengali and Ambade in Hindi is a sour fruit. The fruit is either eaten fresh or made into juice or used in preparation of chutney, pickle, curries and different types of spicy delicacies.
Here is a recipe from Babita’s kitchen to prepare yummy omora achar, amra achar or hog plum pickle at home.
Hog Plum Pickle - Omora Achar
- 1 kg Hog Plum Fruit (Omora)
- 4 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 2 tbsp Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 1 tbsp Red Chilly Powder
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 500 gm Mustard Oil
- Firstly wash amra fruits and dry them thoroughly. Then cut them into squares. Mix salt and keep for a night. Next day, drain all the water. Mix turmeric. Sun dry for 2-3 days.
- Heat a pan. Fry methi seeds, dhania seeds and cumin seeds for sometime. Now, grind the masala in a mixer-grinder.
- Take mustard oil in the pan and heat it sufficiently. Remove oil from fire and let it cool.
- Now, add omora pieces to oil and mix well. Add vinegar and masala powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the pickle in a bottle. Keep in sunshine for a week or two. Stir the pickle 2-3 times in a day with help of a clean and dry spoon. Your pickle is ready.