In India, fish head of rohu (rui / labeo rohita) or catla (bahu or labeo catla) is used to prepare unique dishes. Who have not relished delicious bengali special Muri Ghonto?
Today we present a simple easy-to-cook recipe of fish head curry with spinach and potato. Its homely but without compromising on its lip smacking taste.
Farmtorasoi's Fish Head Curry
- 1 large size Rui or Catla Fish Head
- 1 large size Potato
- 1 large size Tomato
- 1 bunch Spinach
- 1/2 bunch Corinader (Dhania) Leaves
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tbsp Black Cumin Seeds (Kala Jeera)
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Salt To taste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil Preferably mustard oil
- 4-5 cups Water
- Keep all your ingredients ready
- Chop spinach, coriander leaves, tomato and green chilies.
- Put the chopped leaves, tomato, chilies, ginger and garlic in a mixer.
- Add 2-3 cups of water, and grind the mixture to a pulp.
- Coat the fish head with turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in pan and fry the fish head to golden brown. Make sure it is properly cooked.
- Allow the fish head to cool down. Then mash it into small pieces.
- Now heat oil in pan.
- Add kala jeera and let it crackle.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until its translucent.
- Now add potatoes, turmeric and salt, and fry.
- When the potatoes start to become little tender, add the mashed fish head. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for sometime in medium flame.
- Add the grind-mixture and stir it to mix it with all the ingredients.
- Now, add water if required, and then allow to boil.
- Stir occasionally so that the curry thickens. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Put the flame off.