Do you know that ginger plant’s leaves are edible? Yes it is!! With its high anti-oxidant properties, ginger leaves helps in digestion, cures appetite loss and work wonders in preventing constipation.
From the kitchen of Jamini, Farmtorasoi explores an authentic recipe of fish curry with ginger leaves popular in lower Assam.
The dish is best prepared with Boliyora Fish (Aspidoparia Morar). However, you can use any small fish available.
Fish Curry with Ginger Leaves from Jamini's Kitchen
- 250 gm Small Boliyara Fish (or any small fish)
- 1 Bunch Ginger Leaves
- 6 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tbsp Black Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 25 gm Mustard Oil
- Salt To Taste
- Keep the ingredients handy
- Clean the fishes with water. Marinate fishes with salt and turmeric powder. Fry the pieces (not too deep) in a pan with mustard oil. Keep aside.
- Make a thick paste of ginger leaves and 2 green chillies in a grinder.
- Now using a siphon, strain juice from the paste. Keep the juice separately.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add 1/2 tbsp of black cumin seeds and saute for a while.
- Pour the ginger leaves and green chilly juice onto the pan.
- Add turmeric and salt and stir for sometime.
- Pour 1/2 cup water. Let it boil.
- Add 4 green chillies (slit in the middle).
- Now, add the fishes.
- Mix and stir while the gravy boils.
- When the gravy thickens, remove from fire.