Fish curry with bamboo shoot is a typical Assamese dish. During the summer, the bitter taste of the bamboo shoots or khorisa make the dish special.
To know more about bamboo shoots, you can read our article: KHORISA – BAMBOO SHOOTS
Assamese Fish Curry with Bamboo Shoots
- 3 Medium Size Fish Pieces (Yellowtail catfish or any variety)
- 1/2 Cup Fermented Bamboo Shoot
- 1 Large Size Potato Cut into thick Slices
- 2 Medium Size Onion Finely Sliced
- 10 Cloves Garlic Mashed
- 1 Inch Ginger Made into Paste
- 2-3 Green Chilles Chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 50 gms Mustard Oil
- Salt To Taste
- Keep all the ingredients ready.
- Take any fish for the recipe. Here we have taken yellowtail catfish (kosh or pangas).Clean the fish pieces and marinate with salt and turmeric powder for 10-15 minutes. In a pan heat oil. Fry fish pieces till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- In the same oil, fry the potato pieces. Add little turmeric and salt. When golden brown, keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add mashed garlic, ginger paste and onion. Fry till translucent. Add turmeric and salt. Stir and add fermented bamboo shoots and sliced green chillies. Fry for 5-10 minutes until the ingredients stick to the pan.
- Add hot water and allow to boil. Pour water as per your desired quantity of gravy.
- Now, add the fried potato pieces. Stir well to combine.Cover the pan and cook till potatoes are completely cooked.
- Add fish pieces and cover the pan again. In medium heat cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Serve hot with your meal. Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!