A simple authentic Assamese recipe, ‘Patot Diya Mas’ is similar to Bengali specialty ‘Macher Paturi’. This cuisine can be prepared with large variety of fishes – rui, bhangan, ilish, mua, bhetki and so on.
Today Farmtorasoi will explore fish steamed in banana leaf in traditional Assamese style with bhangan fish (Labeo bata).
Patot Diya Mas - Macher Paturi
- 4 medium size Bhangon Fish You can take any fish
- 10-12 cloves Garlic Make a paste
- 1 inch Ginger Make a paste
- 2-3 Lemon Leaves
- 6-7 Green Chillies Split into half
- 2 tbsp Mustard Paste
- Salt To taste
- 6-7 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 Banana Leaf
- Keep the ingredients ready
- Take the washed bhangon fishes and marinate them with salt, mustard paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chillies and lemon leaves.
- Once all the ingredients are mixed well, place them on a banana leaf. Sprinkle 6-7 tbsp mustard oil on top of them.
- Wrap the ingredients in the banana leaf and tie with a string carefully to make a small packet.
- Insert the packet in a tiffin box.
- Now, take a pressure cooker and put some water in it. Place the packet inside the pressure cooker. Cook for four whistles.
- Let the pressure release normally.