In India, Aloo Dum or Egg and Potato Dum recipe is commonly popular amongst people from Bengal and Assam. Today we will try a variant of dum with Egg, Potato and Cauliflower.
Egg Dum Curry with Cauliflower and Potatoes
- 4 Eggs
- 2 large size Potatoes Peeled and quartered
- 1 medium size Cauliflower
- 2 medium size Onions Chopped
- 2 medium size Tomatoes (Ripe) Chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 10-15 cloves Garlic
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 cup Coriander Leaves Chopped for garnish
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil Prefarably mustard oil
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- Salt To taste
- 2 Cardamom (Elaichi)
- 4 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 inch Cinnamon (Dalchini)
- Keep all the ingredients ready
- Boil cauliflower till it starts to get soft. Remove them and keep aside in a plate.
- Hard boil and peel the eggs
- Make four cuts in each egg lengthwise so that masala can enter the eggs
- Sprinkle around 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1-2 pinch of salt and coat the eggs
- In a grinder, add garlic, ginger and chilies and grind them to a paste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry the potatoes until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the potatoes in a plate and set aside.
- In the same oil, gently fry the eggs till golden. Keep aside in a plate.
- Gently smash cardamon, cloves and cinnamon, and add them in the heated oil
- Wait till they crackle, and then add chopped onions and saute them till golden in color.
- Add ginger, garlic and chilies paste and fry them in medium flame with onion until brown in color.
- Add cumin powder, turmeric, salt and stir well
- Add a pinch of sugar to make the color deep brown
- Once oil starts leaving sides, add the chopped tomatoes and keep stirring.
- After the masala is fried nicely, add fried potatoes and mix well.
- Cover the pan for 2 minutes and then add cauliflower. Mix well so that masala gels to the vegetables.
- Fry for sometime and add hot water as per required consistency. Do not use cold water as it will spoil the taste.
- As the curry comes to a boil, drop the eggs
- Simmer the flames and cover the lid. Allow the curry to cook till potatoes and cauliflower are tender and soft.
- Occasionally stir gently so as not to break the eggs.
- Smash few potatoes in order to thicken the curry
- Stir in the chopped coriander leaf and remove from the heat.
Egg dum is served hot with plain steamed rice, chappati, naan or luchi. The spiciness of the curry can be adjusted as per one's choice. For those who prefer spicy curry can add below ingredients as well during cooking the masala:
- 2 bay Leaf
- 3 dry red chili
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder