Chicken Kosha or Chicken Bhuna is a semi-dry spicy curry. The meat is saute in oil and spices till it gets cooked in its own gravy. One must be very patient while preparing the dish as you need to keep on stirring the gravy for a long time. Entire taste of the recipe depends on how well and how long we saute.
Kosha curry is very popular in Bengal although we have varieties of the recipe in other parts of India. We can also use mutton or fish instead of chicken.
Farmtorasoi's Chicken Kosha
- 500 gms Chicken Cleaned and cut into medium pieces.
- 2 medium size Potatoes Cut horizontally into equal halves
- 4 medium size Onions Chopped
- 2 medium size Tomatoes Chopped
- 5 Green Chillies Made into a paste
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander (Dhania) Powder
- 1 inch Ginger Made into a paste
- 10-12 cloves Garlic Made into a paste
- 1 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 10-15 Mustard Oil
- Salt To taste
- Keep all the ingredients handy.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and fry continuously.
- When onion turns golden brown, add tomato. Fry for some time.
- Now add paste of garlic, ginger and green chillies. Mix and keep on frying for 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, jeera powder, coriander powder and salt, and fry till tomatoes are completely cooked and oil secretes out.
- Add chicken, mix well and cook over medium heat.
- Cover the pan and let the ingredients cook. Uncover and keep stirring in between.
- When the chicken starts secreting oil and the gravy becomes dry, then add 2 cups of water.
- Cover and let the gravy cook until the chicken is fully done. The gravy should become quite dry in consistency.
- Remove from fire. Your chicken kosha is ready.