Bhapa pitha is a common pitha in Assamese Food Culture. Its easy and ‘interesting’ to prepare. For foodies who like to try new dishes, bhapa pitha is surely going to attract them.
Bhapa Diya Pitha
- 1 Big Bowl Grated Coconut
- 500 gm Rice Flour
Note: It is good to prepare your own rice flour. Take 500 gm rice. Wash and soak the rice for an hour. Strain and spread it out to dry. Now, grind rice and then sieve it to get fine powder.
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 5 Elaichi
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- Keep the ingredients ready
- In a dry pan, fry grated coconut with sugar and elaichi. Fry till sugar melts and stick to coconut. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, take the rice powder and salt. Mix them well. Add little hot water and start kneading the mixture. Continue kneading till dough becomes pliable and soft.
- Now, make medium balls of the dough. Flatten the ball by pressing with your palm.
- Fill the flattened rice disc with 2 tbsp of fried coconut.
- Fold the pitha and press the corners so that it sticks together.
- Heat water in a deep pan.
- When water boils, cover the mouth of the pan with a markin cloth. Put the pithas on top of the cloth.
- Now, cover the mouth of the pan with a lid. Put a heavy weight on the lid so that the pithas are properly cooked in steam.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Your bhapa pitha is ready.
Savour hot with tea. Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!