Aloo posto is a traditional Bengali recipe. It is prepared by blending potatoes in a poppy seed paste.
Our guest author, Bandita has shared this mouth-watering Bengali delicacy.
- 2 Large Size Potatoes
- 1 Large Size Onion
- 2 tbsp Poppy Seeds (Khus Khus or Posto)
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Kala Jeera
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- Salt To Taste
- Soak 2 tbsp poppy seeds in water for 1-2 hours.Drain the water using a sieve.Now, using a pestle and mortar or grinder, make a thick paste.
- In the meantime, cut the onion into thin slices.Heat Oil in a pan and fry the onion slices till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Now, peel the potatoes and cut into medium size cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsp Mustard Oil in a pan.Add Kala Jeera and 2 dry red chillies. Saute for a while.Add the potato cubes and salt. Fry in medium to low flame. Cover the pan.When the potatoes get cooked, add posto paste. Mix well.Add 1/2 cup of water. Mix and cover the pan. Stir occasionally.
- When the gravy thickens and potatoes are completely cooked, then remove the pan from flame.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of mustard oil.Spread the fried onions on the top.Your Aloo Posto is ready to be served.
Serve alongside white rice or roti. Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!