In India, fresh peas (matar) are used in various dishes such as aloo matar (curried potatoes with peas), matar paneer (paneer cheese with peas) or matar gobi (cauliflower with peas).
Today we will prepare a simple dish with matar and potatoes. There are many different ways to prepare aloo matar. Lets try this one from FarmToRasoi.
Aloo Matar Curry
- 250 gm Fresh Peas Frozen Peas can also be used
- 2 Large Potatoes Peeled and chopped into medium pieces
- 1/2 tbsp Whole Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Jeera) powder
- 4 Green Chillies Spilt into halves
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldhi) Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil Preferably mustard oil
- 1/2 bunch Coriander Leaves Chopped for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Grind ginger to a paste
- Boil potatoes in a cooker. Ensure that potato is half boiled
- Peel the potatoes and chop into cubes
- Heat oil in a pan and saute cumin seeds, dry chilies and bay leaves for 1-2 minutes.
- Now, add chopped potatoes, 2 green chilies, turmeric and salt. Stir and mix well for sometime.
- Add jeera powder and ginger paste and stir the mixture
- After cooking for a while, add peas to it and stir again.
- Cook for sometime over medium flame.
- Now, add water and mix the ingredients. Cover the pan and let the curry thicken.
- Then add 2 green chilies and mix curry well again.
- Transfer the dish to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves