Tea requires no introduction. It is the most widely used beverage in the world. In India, tea is embedded in its ethos and roots. From roadside tea stalls, the familiar hollering “Chai” “Chai” of tea sellers on a train journey or mandatory serving of tea to guest are all part of Indian ways of living. Popular tea brews are Milk Tea, Black Tea, Green Tea, Lemon Tea and Masala Tea.
As an industry, India is currently
- The largest consumer of tea
- The second largest producer of tea after China
- The fourth largest exporter of tea after China, Kenya and Sri Lanka
Types of Tea
Depending on the way the tea leaves are processed, tea is categorized into four types:
- White Tea: It is the least processed tea. Young unfurled tea leaves are plucked and dried in natural sunlight.
- Black Tea: It is the most processed tea. Tea leaves are withered, rolled, oxidized and dried, giving a distinctive color and flavor.
- Oolong Tea: It is semi-oxidized and falls somewhere between black tea and green tea
- Green Tea: It involves withering, heating, rolling and drying. It is non-fermented and hence lighter in color.
All the four types of tea is prepared from the leaves of the plant Camellia Sinensis.
Tea Production Regions
Tea is produced in ten distinct regions of North-East and South India:
- Dooars and Terai
Tea cafes is slowly picking up in India. They give consumers a taste of different varieties of Indian tea. Having a cup of tea is no longer confined to tea prepared at home or having a sip from roadside chaiwallas. Some blooming chai cafe brands are Chai Point, Chaayos, Tpot, Chai Thela, Chaipatty, Teabox, Udyan Tea, Tea Time, Chai Garam, Tea Halt, Chai Break, Haazri, Tea Villa Cafe and Tea Trails.
With estimated 64% of the entire population of the country consuming tea, it cannot be that they have escaped taste of Assam tea. It’s distinctive strong aroma and malty flavor make it one of the most sought after tea brands in the world.
Key notes are:
- Assam boasts of having four distinct seasons (summer, monsoon, autumn and winter) with abundant rainfall. The soil is loamy and fertile. These conditions are suitable for tea cultivation.
- Assam is the largest tea producing region in India.
- Assam produces both orthodox and CTC (Crush/Tear/Curl) varieties of tea.
- Dibrugarh situated in the eastern part and having around 170 tea gardens is considered tea capital of the state.
- In 2012, tea was accepted as the ‘State Drink’ of Assam.
Tea Estates in Assam
According to Directorate of Tea Tribe Welfare, Assam, there are around 803 tea estates in Assam. There are also more than 1 lakhs small tea growers. Together Assam produces 653 Million kgs of tea as per statistical data of 2015-16.
Some of the major tea estates in Assam are Amsoi, Ambika, Monabari, Manohari, Halmari, Golaghat, Tocklai, Deodhai and many more.
It is to be noted that in July 2019, a kilogram of Manohari Gold Tea was sold for Rs 50,000 at the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre. This is believed to be the highest price ever paid for tea at any public auction. The tea is produced at Manohari Tea Estate in Assam’s Dibrugarh district.
10 Best Assam Green Tea
Green Tea is considered healthy and consists of many medicinal benefits. Daily consumption of 2-3 cups of green tea is good for health.
Some health benefits of Green Tea includes,
- Helps in Weight Loss
- Reduces risk of diabetes
- Reduces bad cholesterol
- Improve health of your heart
- Helps in curing tooth decay
- Reduces Blood Pressure
- Reduces depression and anxiety
- Boosts immunity
Following is a list of 10 brands of Assam Green Tea that you may try out:
1. Jarved Natural Handmade Assam Green Tea
Jarved’s Assam Green Tea is 100% organic, fresh and authentic. It has only natural ingredients. The whole leaves open themselves into a fresh leaf when dipped in water.
If you are a tea lover, this brand is a must try for you.
2. Kadambri Teas Long Leaf Assam Green Tea
3. Blue Nectar Amritanadi Assam Green Tea
Amritanadi tea is made from highest quality of tea from Assam tea gardens. There is no tea dust, only fresh natural tea leaves. If you are a fan of green tea, Amritanadi will double your pleasure and experience. Have it in the morning and evening, and get rid of stress!!
4. H-Sure Assam Natural Organic Herbal Loose Leaves Green Tea
H-Sure loose green tea is completely organic made from the choicest Tea Leaves carefully plucked from finest tea estates of Assam. The fine long leaf is packaged to guarantee freshness, aroma, and taste.
5. Chai Point Assam Green Tea
Chai Point Assam Green Tea contains high quality green tea leaves, sourced from finest estates in Assam and handpicked by experts.
6. Hathikuli Organic Assam Green Tea
This certified organic tea is from Hathikuli Tea Estate located in the periphery of the world heritage site of Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
7. Yethai Premium Assam Green Tea
Yethai Green Tea is prepared from two leaves and one bud. It has more antioxidants than normal green tea, thereby doubling its health benefits. The tea is natural without use of any chemicals.
8. Halmira Farm2Me Assam Green Tea
Halmira Tea is hand-picked from the finest gardens in Assam. It has powerful HGCG antioxidant action.
9. Esah Organic Certified Assam Handmade Green Tea
Esah Tea is 100% USDA certified organic. The hand processed tea is gives a pleasurable tea-drinking experience.
10. Namhah Assam Green Tea